Do I need a risk assessment?

Yes all Scout Activities including nights away and adventurous activities require a written risk assessment, as per POR 9.1 For more support on writing a risk assessment check out the Scouts website.

Does my permit need renewing?

Yes, all Scout Permits (both activity & nights away) need renewing periodically. A permit can be granted for a maximum of 5 years so volunteers will need to be aware of when their permit expires so that they can arrange…

Read More

How can I gain a permit?

The nights away permit scheme is an internal assessment scheme designed to ensure that all those leading nights away events for young people within the Scouts have the skills, experience and personal suitability to do so. To gain a permit…

Read More

What is InTouch?

InTouch is the system that helps you to communicate at all Scout activities and events. It’s flexible and lets Units, Groups and Sections work out the best way to keep in touch during these activities. At any Scouting activity, you…

Read More

What’s a Nights Away Passport?

Nights Away Event Passports exist to enable young people in the Scout and Explorer Scout sections, who are deemed suitably skilled, to undertake a nights away activity as a peer group. Examples of this include patrol camps and expeditions. Nights…

Read More

Who can run Nights Away experiences?

To run a Nights Away experience a nights away permit is required. There are different levels of permit that allow you to take young people on different types of residential experiences. Any leader in Scouts can lead on a Nights…

Read More

Who’s approval do I need?

A Nights Away Notification (NAN) Form needs to be submitted to the District Commissioner at least 7 days before your event. Please download the latest version of the form from every time you need to submit a NAN form…

Read More