We use the Google Workspace for Nonprofits platform for our email, document storage and collaboration tools. With the features that Google Workspace provides, we’re eager as a District to expand the platform to our Groups and Units.
These tools would normally cost thousands of pounds a year but we’re delighted to be able to offer it to our Groups and Units for free!
What is Google Workspace?
Google Workspace provides a custom email for your Group and includes collaboration tools like Gmail, Calendar, Meet, Chat, Drive, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Forms, Sites and more.
What are the advantages of using privately hosted email?
- With a custom domain name such as firstname.lastname@example.org, Parents and outside organisations can be a lot more confident of your identity when receiving emails. Anyone can set up a free Gmail or Hotmail account with something similar to email@example.com and pose as a leader. We want to make sure our adult members are protected from identity theft and safeguard our young people from imposters.
- A Scouting email address allows you to manage and maintain a Scout-Life balance by keeping your Scouting mailbox separate from your personal inbox.
- It looks professional. Quite often Scouting will lead you to have contact and dealings with public officials, MPs, Councillors, Business leaders and having your own custom scout email address will give a much better impression.
- When your group sign up for the system, you will automatically get an address book of all the people in your own group as well the District Team which will update as people join the organisation and leave – so you can always get hold of the people you need to.
- Centrally managed distribution lists can be setup so that you can be confident everyone who is supposed to receives your email.
What else does my Group get?
By hosting your Group’s email with us, you will receive for FREE:
- a free domain name provided by us (e.g. 1stgrafton.org.uk)
- Secure, personalised business class email, calendar, contacts and personal file storage and sharing with 30GB of cloud storage (Gmail, Google Calendar & Google Drive)
- Collaboration services to securely store and backup documents, essential for succession planning (Google Drive Shared Drives)
- Video conferencing for up to 100 people (Google Meet)
- Secure direct messaging and chat rooms (Google Chat)
- Secure social media and networking platform (Google Currents)
- Google Forms for secure data collection
- Web versions of Google Docs, Sheets, Slides and more (Google’s version of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- A platform for Digital Scouting (Google Classroom)
- District-based technical support when you need it.
- Full GDPR compliance and alignment
What is Online Scout Manager?
Online Scout Manager (OSM) is a youth management system and platform for Scout Groups and Explorer Sections. As well as managing personal data it enables leaders to email parents, track badge progress, organise and publish a programme, track growth, manage event attendance, handle payments, claim gift aid, maintain and inventory of equipment and much more!
How do I access OSM?
Access to Online Scout Manager is given to you by your fellow leaders or Group Scout Leader.
What are the advantages of OSM
- GDPR compliant data storage.
- All data related to running your section in one place.
- Time and effort completing admin.
- Data is accessible to everyone in the group that needs it
- No more paper! Better for the environment and on your purse!
- Smooth handovers when leadership changes / volunteers join and leave.
- Smooth transfers between sections and groups
- No trips to the bank or wasted time collecting forms, cash or cheques.
- Easy gift aid claims
What does my Group/Unit get?
Every section/unit is provided with a discounted Gold+ Subscription worth £42 per section per year. Included in the package is the ability to:
- Send emails and newsletters with read receipts
- Track Attendance register
- Track Badge records & calculate eligibility
- Share badge progress with parents
- Badge stock & shopping lists
- Plan your programme
- Manage events and attendance
- Massive activities database
- Parent rota
- Quartermaster’s database
- Parents can pay for events and fees
- Parents can sign up to events
- Parents can view the programme
- Parents can see their child’s badge progress
- Parents can keep their contact and medical info up to date
- Collect payments via direct debit or credit/debit card.
- Parents always kept informed with automated emails
- Integration with the Gift Aid system for easy claims
- Census Aggregator
- Expense Tracking + Receipt Uploads
Where can I find help?
You can find help from within Online Scout Manager it self via the help menu in the bottom right where there are tutorial videos, frequently asked questions, help forums and you can contact the support team directly.
It’s also likely that other leaders, both within your Group and the District, will be able to help!